Pop pop, fizz fizz, clink clink! It’s that time of year again when we shake off the previous year and anticipate new beginnings. If you read my post from a few days back, you know that I am really looking forward to a new year. This holiday holds a special place in my heart because not only is it the marker for a new year, but it is also me and Cameron’s anniversary! This year we will be celebrating 6 years! The logic behind getting married on 1/1/11 (besides the fact that it’s super cool to say we were married on 1/1/11) is A. we will never forget our anniversary and B. there will alway be fireworks on our anniversary. Now that we are an old married couple with a kid, fireworks is something that we now dread because we don’t want the neighbors to wake her from her sleep!
However you are ringing in the New Year, hosting a party, attending a party, or celebrating a quiet night in with your boo, starting the year off with a little champs is a must.
Just when you think that champagne can’t get any better, I am flipping the script and bringing you champagne cupcakes (mind blown…I know…) This recipe is sweet, decadent, and champagne is the the star. These are sure to be a hit as you celebrate the night away.
Yields 12-15 Cupcakes
- 1 2/3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 cup salted butter, room temperature
- 3 egg whites
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp champagne ( I used a champagne on the sweeter side)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 4-5 tbsp champagne
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Whisk together flour, sugar, baking soda and baking powder in a large mixing bowl.
- Add butter, egg whites, vanilla, sour cream and champagne and mix on medium speed just until smooth. Do not over mix.
- Fill cupcake liners a little more than half way.
- Bake 18-20 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 1-2 minutes, then remove to cooling rack to finish cooling.
- Combine butter and shortening and mix until smooth.
- Add 2 cups of powdered sugar and mix until smooth.
- Add champagne and mix until smooth.
- Add remaining powdered sugar and mix until smooth.
- Add a little more champagne, if needed, until desired consistency is reached.
- Top cupcakes with icing.
Wishing you all the best in 2017,