Pardon me while I veer away from what should be a Christmas post to share with you this delicious recipe for a Chipotle Bacon Bloody Mary that will knock your socks off! I guess the photos in the post do have hints of red and green…and it is called a Mary, which is Jesus’ moms name so maybe this is a Christmas post after all! Typically I am not a tomato juice person, nor do I really like cocktails on the savory side, but something about the cold weather has had me all about tomato juice. I think it’s because of the yummy soups I have been making to keep Mr. Sideline Socialite and baby Sideline Socialite warm as the cold weather starts to move in. When thinking about what could possibly make a drink that I would otherwise pass up at the tailgate more appetizing the first thing that came to mind was bacon! Everything is better with bacon, it’s a scientific fact…trust me.
Have you seen those drinks with the all the crazy things sticking out of it?! Like, they will put a slider on a stick and then shove it into a milk shake. I don’t know if they are awesome or disgusting but I am leaning more toward awesome, haha! Anyway, I wanted to give a nod to that with this Chipotle Bacon Bloody Mary by adding things (olives, and celery) that would definitely enhance the drink and pair nicely with it.
The bacon is the real MVP of this his cocktail. Thick-cut smoked chipotle bacon is the key dressed in black pepper, brown sugar, and cinnamon. When cooking the bacon be ready for the delicious smell to permeate your house! When I prepared this it happened to be in the morning so we just went ahead and centered our breakfast around just the bacon!
Yields 6 Bloody Marys
- 6 cups Tomato juice
- 1/4 cup Lemon juice
- 1/4 cup Lime juice
- 2 Tbs. Creamy horseradish
- 1 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbs. Sriracha
- 1 Small clove garlic, minced
- 3/4 tsp. Salt
- 1/2 tsp. Freshly ground black pepper
- 12 oz. Vodka
- Creole seasoning mix (I used Tony Chachere) to rim glasses
- Green olives, for garnish
- Celery stalk, for garnish
- 1/2 tsp. Black pepper
- 1/2 cup Brown sugar
- 1 tsp. Cinnamon
- In a blender, blend tomato juice, lemon juice, lime juice, horseradish, worcestershire, sriracha, garlic, salt, and pepper. Refrigerate until chilled (about 1 hour).
- To serve: place creole seasoning on a small plate. Rim glasses with lime juice and dip rim in seasoning.
- Fill glass with ice and add 2 oz. of vodka, then fill with the Bloody Mary tomato mix
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Line baking sheet with aluminum foil with a baking rack on top.
- Mix sugar, cinnamon, and black pepper in a bowl and then dip bacon in the mixture coating both sides.
- Thread each bacon strip onto a wooden skewer and place them on the baking rack