The Christmas countdown is real, ya’ll! After a year where I felt like we had to tread lightly through it, I am ready for all the festivities the holidays bring. Not to mention, I finished my Christmas shopping super early so my to-do list these days is short! The kids and I have been watching Christmas movies for the past few weeks and there are no shortage of snacks when we cuddle up to watch Kevin’s shenanigans, Buddy eat syrupy spaghetti, and the Grinch’s heart grow in size. Here is a SUPER easy holiday recipe for Peppermint Popcorn that is one of our family faves and perfect for you to try this holiday season.
First pop your popcorn according to the package. I usually use a lightly buttered popcorn but it’s totally up to you. I have also used kernels popped in my popcorn maker and that is pretty tasty too. Once it’s popped, set it aside.
If you need any stress relief from the hustle and bustle of the holidays, this is your time to shine! Place 20-30 unpackaged peppermints in a ziploc bag and crush the mints with something heavy. I used my meat tenderizer, but you can use a hammer (gently) or rolling pin as well.
Try to get your peppermint pieces as fine as you can. You don’t want your pieces too chunky.
Stir in candy making sure to incorporate all peppermint pieces into the candy coating thoroughly and quickly. You don’t want the mixture to start to harden.
Pour the peppermint/candy coating mixture over your popcorn and mix it all together. Make sure you coat all of your popcorn! You want to make sure that vanilla minty goodness gets on all that popcorn.
Once the peppermint popcorn is completely coated, pour it all onto a sheet of wax paper.
Make sure that the peppermint popcorn is in a single layer on the wax paper.
Let the peppermint popcorn sit on the wax paper for 20-30 minutes so that the coating hardens. After this time your popcorn will be ready to break into bite-sized pieces and served up in a bowl.
Making a Christmas snack doesn’t get any easier than that! You don’t even have to measure! I do need to warn you that once you start eating this, you can’t stop! It’s delicious and addicting, especially if you are a popcorn lover like Cam and I. I hope that you enjoy this as you celebrate the holidays. Merry Christmas, from my family to yours!
- Wax Paper
- 1 Bag Popcorn (popped)
- 1 Package Vanilla Candy Coating or Almond Bark
- 20-30 Peppermints
- Pop popcorn according to package instructions and set aside.
- Unwrap individual peppermints and place in a freezer bag. Using a meat tenderizer or tool crush mints until pieces are fine and not to chunky.
- Melt vanilla candy coating according to package instructions.
- Pour crushed peppermints into melted vanilla candy coating until mints are fully incorporated.
- Pour vanilla peppermint mixture on top of the popcorn and stir until popcorn is fully coated.
- Pour popcorn onto wax paper making sure popcorn is in a single layer. Allow vanilla coating to harden for 20-30 minutes.
- Break popcorn into bite size pieces. Place in a bowl, and enjoy!